Follow Us

Copyright 2014 Brand Exponents All Rights Reserved


Can You Help Us?



Spread the Word


Get Answers Here

How much are the classes?

Classes for the degree program are $50 per unit. To audit a class it is $30 per unit. All classes are four units each, unless otherwise noted.

How can I start taking classes? Is everyone accepted?

In order to enroll into the B.A. degree program, you must apply to CIU. We try our best to accommodate as many students as possible but we cannot accept everyone into the program. Anyone who would like to just take classes without pursuing the B.A. degree can register as an audit student.

What happens after I fill out the application?

Once you have filled out the online application, it will be reviewed by our staff. If you are accepted into the program, you will be sent an enrollment agreement to complete and sign. Once you have submitted the enrollment agreement, you will officially become a student of CIU and will then get to choose which classes you want to take for the upcoming quarter. If you applied for financial aid [which is an optional part of the application], you will be presented with a financial aid offer in the form of loans, grants, and work-study for the academic year. If you choose to accept the offer, your tuition will be offset by the financial aid you receive. Keep in mind that there are certain minimum requirements that must be maintained in order to qualify for, and maintain, financial aid.

Where do I apply for financial aid?

The financial aid application is part of the general application process. Once you start the online application process, you will be asked if you would like to apply for financial aid. If you select yes, you will encounter the financial aid application form. Once you have applied, you will receive a financial aid award letter, if you qualify, within a few weeks. Financial aid is given on a first come, first-served basis. So, technically, there is no deadline, but once the funds are depleted, there will be no more financial aid available. Therefore, prospective students should apply as soon as possible in order to secure their chances to earn financial aid.

Can I complete the degree program online?

Yes, it is possible to complete the entire degree program online as well as onsite. For those whose schedules do not match the course offerings, it is recommended they complete the courses online so there is no delay in their ability to take classes and graduate on time.

What is the difference between the College of Islamic Studies and California Islamic University?

There are three main differences. One, California Islamic University has its own campus in the city of Fullerton, CA, whereas CIS used the masjid as its main campus. Two, CIS offered an associate's degree whereas California Islamic University will offer a bachelor's degree. Three, about 20% of the course content has changed and each course will be more developed, structured, and intensive than the previous courses offered by CIS.

Do previous classes from the College of Islamic Studies carry over?

California Islamic University offers many of the same classes previously taught by the College of Islamic Studies. However, the format in which the classes are taught are slightly different and more demanding. According to the requirements of the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education [], a student may only transfer or test out of a maximum of 75% of the units required for the degree. Units from the College of Islamic Studies do not automatically carry over to CIU since the intensity of the courses are different. Since the B.A. degree is 180 quarter units, and 90 units are transferred in from another institution, only 45 units may be tested out of. This means that a student may potentially test out of eleven 4-unit courses and have only nine courses remaining for the degree.

When is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

Financial aid is given on a first come, first-served basis. So, technically, there is no deadline, but once the funds are depleted, there will be no more financial aid available. Therefore, prospective students should apply as soon as possible in order to secure their chances to earn financial aid.

How can you offer a bachelor's degree in only two years?

California Islamic University is an upper division college [see]. This means that it does not provide the first two years of undergraduate instruction and requires students to already have completed two years of study at another institution. A Bachelor's degree at CIU requires 180 units of coursework. Ninety of these units will be taken at another institution in any subject and the remaining ninety will be taken at California Islamic University through the twenty courses offered.

Can I test out of classes if I already know the material?

It is possible to test out of classes if you are confident that you have already achieved the learning objectives of the course. There is a fee applied to administer the examination to determine whether you have met the learning objectives or not. A maximum of 75% of the units required for a degree may be transferred or challenged. Since 90 units are transferred from another undergraduate program, there remains 45 units that can be tested out of at CIU.

Which institutions can I transfer units from? What if I already completed a degree?

Any institution that is accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, or equivalent, will be accepted by California Islamic University. Any foreign institution which can be proved to be equivalent to an institution that is accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education will also be accepted. An excellent way to accomplish this is through If you have already completed an associate's or bachelor's degree that meets the above criteria, those units may be transferred over to CIU.

What is the procedure to challenge classes which I think I don't need to take?

If you are confident that you know the learning material of a particular course and have met the learning objectives of that class, you may take a challenge exam to test out of the course. A maximum of 45 units may be challenged as part of the 90 unit degree program at CIU. There is a $20 fee for each challenge exam and the exam may only be taken once. The exam will consist of both a written and oral component. Contact to request a challenge exam for any course. Keep in mind that if you pass a challenge examination, this grade will not be calculated as part of your final GPA. Email the admissions office at to setup a challenge exam for a specific course.

What if I am not interested in the courses you are offering in the upcoming quarter?

If you are on track for the B.A. degree and have already taken the courses that are being offered, you will have to wait until the following quarter to take courses. Due to limited faculty, we can only offer a limited number of courses per quarter at this time. To plan your schedule properly, please visit this page to see what courses will be offered over the next two academic years:

What if my college was on a semester system and I only acquired sixty units?

Some colleges operate under a quarter system whereas others operate under a semester system. A bachelor's degree requires either 120 semester units or 180 quarter units. To figure out the semester to quarter unit conversion, multiply by 1.5. So if you completed 60 semester units at another institution that you want to transfer to CIU in order to get the bachelor's degree, multiply those 60 units by 1.5 and it will equal 90 quarter units.

I want to take the classes and get the B.A. degree, but don't have that much time. What should I do?

It is very important to decide whether or not you want to pursue a degree. If you do, you must intend to eventually complete all twenty courses, or 90 units, in addition to having completed two years of undergraduate studies elsewhere. If you are only interested in taking some classes, here and there, depending on your schedule and interest level, then it is recommended you take courses as an audit student.

I am currently a college student. Shouldn't I wait until I graduate before starting these classes?

No. In fact, we have designed our program in mind so that students can simultaneously pursue their career education and Islamic education at the same time. It is like double-majoring in a university, except you attend two different schools at the same time.

Stop by for a tour of our campus. To contact us, send an email or give us a call.

  • 598 S State College Blvd, Fullerton, CA 92831
  • 714-660-7247
  • Campus Map

We love to listen and we are eagerly waiting to talk to you regarding your studies. Get in touch with us if you have any questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible.